Wednesday, November 17, 2010

“We were on a break!” Ah, but Thanksgiving beckons…

Mom "Aurora"
Need I say more?... Except that I am glad to be back on the blog. With the holidays moving our way, I will opt out of cooking for Thanksgiving Day. There are benefits to having a mom in assisted living. Along with exemplary care of their entrusted population, The Villas of Casa Celeste in Largo, Florida, serves a superbly delicious, homemade feast prepared by the most loving folks you can imagine! We really lucked out finding this community.

Not cooking for Thanksgiving won’t stop my mouthwatering curiosity for recipes
 that I collect from the sea of cyberspace. If I were cooking for Thanksgiving I would likely make a first course soup of pureed carrots, leeks, and Tahini, serving it room temperature topped with cilantro and chopped tomatoes. I made this all summer long and still cannot get enough of it.

Regarding a main course, I gave up on turkeys about ten years ago. Alas, my new oven has a convection roast feature that I just discovered for roasting chicken. It turns out so incredibly moist and golden that I plan to roast a turkey very soon. My husband will flip with delight since turkeys and I have always struggled to remain civil to one another. They have the driest sense of humor which bores me to tears. This year, however, we may actually call a truce.

Unlike boring birds, vegetables jive on versatility so I love playing with holiday side dishes! Have you heard about going raw this year? It's seems to be the latest craze and think of how much better the meal will digest. For me, dessert would have to be Sunken Grape Cake. I have baked this twice in the past three weeks and each time, with its intense almond flavor, it has been received with a sudden popping open of eyes and a "wow!" You know, I just may have planned Christmas Dinner chez Levy...

Expressing gratitude on Thanksgiving Day sounds more passé (to me) as years go by, probably because I am grateful pretty much every day of the year. My passion for food preparation and presentation closely co-mingles with the love I feel for my family and friends. Whenever we sit down for a meal together, the food I serve speaks volumes to our palates about how lucky I feel to express myself with food! Cooking is, after all, what I do.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment