Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dirt, Composting, and Love

Then...
When Nathan first came to live in this house, he wanted to buy a yard of dirt to use for landscaping the “football field” (aka the backyard). I remember putting up such a stink over it. The truth was that I had been “left” before in this house AND--to add insult to injury to embarrassment--I got left with a huge mess to clean up.
Old panes of glass stacked against the house for storage, unused lumber with nails in it, etc. Yuk! So I was terrified of getting “left” (again?) and it hurt just to think that Nathan might leave some day. But I was determined not to get stuck with liquidating a huge pile of dirt should he decide I wasn’t the girl for him. So I explained why I was so upset and Nathan said he was never going to leave me but he would use up all the dirt within a matter of weeks just so I would feel better about it. He kept his promise.

You know, we often laugh about that dirt pile now, after almost fourteen years together in this house and married for almost twelve. But we laugh even harder at the irony that we have not one, but two, piles of compost going in our yard, a super pile of dirt that travels wherever Nathan’s leisurely spirit decides it should light. And I sleep like a baby every night. Ah, the power of love to heal!

...and now
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how we hold onto the past? It's the whole "those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it" thing I think! Your garden (and all that dirt) is beautiful and inspiring. I'm in St Pete as well and for the last few years have tried different methods of vegetable gardening, but I feel like I fail every time. I'm sticking with it and HOPE to have a bountiful garden to share with family, friends and neighbors one day! Thank you for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, since my original post we have formed stpete.locallygrown.net. Nathan is teaching alot of folks how to do what we do, right here in St. Pete. Let us know if there is anyway we can help you "not fail" at gardening. Kudos for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete